SCORE Counselors to America's Small Business
Ask SCORE for Business Advice SCORE Counselors
skip primary links
About Us
Business Resources
Business Counseling
Business Workshops
Community Partners
Resource Partners
sub-navigation links below
Business Resources
How to Start a Business in San Luis Obispo County
Getting Started
Business Plan
Business Resources
Local Contacts
Web Resources
skip to content
Volunteers Only

Before starting a business, the legal environment of your establishment should be researched. There are many laws, rules, and regulations that must be followed to start and run your business. Almost every aspect of your business is under some form of legal ruling. Specific forms, licenses and other documentation must be filed with state and local government offices in order to begin. Without this documentation, you may be prevented from opening. It is important for you to take a close look at California's legal business requirements. 

Aspects of Business under Legal Guidelines 

Major aspects of business governed by business law can be divided into the following areas: legal structure, business name, trademarks and patents, licensing and permits, contracts and legal liability. 

Legal Structure 

What legal structure will your business take? This decision is of primary importance because laws governing many aspects of the business vary depending on its legal structure. The four main categories are: sole proprietorship, partnership, Limited Liability Company and corporation. These four types of business entities are discussed in the section on "Structuring Your Business" . 

Business Name 

Even though a business name has no magic that will guarantee success, the name is nevertheless very important to a new business. As a small business prospers and grows, the public will begin to recognize and associate the name with the product or service. 

There is a body of law that specifically governs the business name. For example, if a business contains anything other than the actual names of the owners, then it is classified as a "firm name" or a "fictitious name." If the legal structure of the business is a corporation, then it must be incorporated and the business name must reflect this fact. 

The Fictitious Business Name Statement must be filed within 30 days of the date you open your business. The statement is valid for five years. There is a fee for initial filing and a charge for renewal. The chosen business name is valid in the county where you file, and must not be similar to any other business as to mislead the public. It must not violate any federally protected names. The fictitious name must also be printed in the newspaper for four consecutive weeks. Your local newspaper may be willing to assist in this process.

To file your fictitious name or find out if the name you have chosen is still available, contact:


San Luis Obispo County Clerk Recorder

1055 Monterey Street Room D120 San Luis Obispo CA 93408

(805) 781-5080


5955 Capistrano Suite B Atascadero CA 93422

(805) 461-6041


Trademarks and Patents 

A trademark is a symbol that identifies a specific product. If your business sells services, then the trademark is the one that you use in advertising; it will enable the public to set you apart from your competition. Both trademarks and service marks can be registered for your protection.  You can do this by going to 

A patent grants a monopoly right to produce, use, sell, or gain profit from a specific invention. Patents are extremely important in business. There is a specific body of patent law that protects the rights of the registrant. Patent lawyers are usually listed separately in the telephone directory. In fact, general practice lawyers usually refer most inquiries about patents to these specialists.

Licenses and Permits 

Several federal, state and local licenses and permits are required for starting a new business. Before you even apply for a license, you must first find out the land use requirements, zoning requirements and detailed building code requirements for your type of business, and should do so before signing a rental, lease, or purchase agreement. Requirements may vary for each incorporated city in the county, and the county itself.For assistance call the appropriate number shown in the Resources chapter. 

Permits required for new businesses are different depending on the type of business. The most common licenses and permits include: a business license, building permit, sales permit, State ID and sales tax schedule, and occupational license. 

Business License 

Business licenses are issued by individual cities within the county, or by the county in county areas. These must be posted on the business premises for public inspection. The fee varies depending on the type of business. If you are going to locate your business in more than one city, a separate business license is required for each city and/or county. For county areas:

County of San Luis Obispo Tax and License Collector

County Government Center, Room D290 1055 Monterey Street

San Luis Obispo CA 93408 (805) 781-5832


For city offices, please see Resources chapter.

Home Occupation Permit


To set up a business in your home, you first need to make sure that the proposed use of the property is consistent with the zoning. To check the zoning, you first must know the Assessor's Parcel Number of the property. If you are the property owner, this can be obtained from your property tax statement. If you are a renter or lessee, your landlord will have this number. If this number is not readily available, contact (you will need the exact address of the property):


County Assessor's Office

County Government Center, Room D360 1055 Monterey Street

San Luis Obispo CA 93408 (805) 781-5643

Fax (805) 781-5641


Once you have obtained the Assessor's Parcel Number, go to your local City or County Planning Department to 1) check the zoning and 2) to obtain information regarding allowable home occupations. Resources chapter. 


Sign Permit

For the County of San Luis Obispo, go to:


County of San Luis Obispo Planning Department

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo CA 93408 (805) 781-5600

Fax (805) 781-1242


If you are planning to place a sign on the exterior of your business, you need a Sign Permit. Regulations regarding the types of signs and placement depend on the zoning for the parcel and the type of business. The Sign Permit application requires you (the business owner) or your sign contractor to submit drawings indicating the advertising message, location, dimensions, construction, electrical wiring and components and the method of attachment. The fee for the permit depends usually on the value of the sign. 

Start your permit process with the planning people at the addresses and phone numbers shown above, the Planning Departments of the County or City in which you will be located. Resources chapter. 

Building Permit 

If you are planning to construct your place of business, or do any major remodeling, you must have a building permit. Special permits may be required for parking, food preparation, fire safety, discharge of pollutants, etc. If you are building within city limits, there are specific forms that must be filed. For more information, contact your Planning Department: see Resources chapter

If you are building outside a city, specific forms must be filed with the county. For further information on county building permits, contact:


County of San Luis Obispo Planning Department

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo CA 93408 (805) 781-5600

Seller's Permit 

If you are planning to sell items that are subject to state sales tax, you must also apply for a seller's permit for each place of operation. This "resale number" will eliminate the need to pay sales tax when you purchase items for resale in your business. A personal Statement of Financial Condition and estimations of monthly sales and expenses may be required with new applications. There is no fee required for a sales permit; however, under certain conditions a security deposit may be required. To apply contact:


California State Board of Equalization

4820 McGrath  Suite 260

Ventura CA 93003-7778

(800) 400-7115


State ID and Withholding Schedule 

If you will be an employer, you must obtain a state employer identification number and employees withholding schedule from:

State Employment Tax District Office

4111 Broad Street

San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 (888) 745-3886 (805) 788-2600

If you are applying for a Fuel Tax Permit or Sales Tax Permit, you are automatically registered with the Employment Development Department. Registration must be within fifteen days of the first payment of wages. No fee is required for registration.

Occupational Licenses

 There are many occupations that require licensing in California. For information on this subject, contact:


Department of Consumer Affairs

Sacramento CA (800) 952-5210


Please see Business Tax Certificates under the chapter on "Understanding Taxes" for additional information on licenses and permits.


A contract creates legal rights and duties between people. Business contracts can be divided into three groups: commercial contracts, employment contracts, and real estate transactions.

Commercial Contracts: The laws of commercial contracts originate from many sources, but the most important law concerning commercial contracts is the Uniform Commercial Code. It is a comprehensive commercial law adopted by every state, covering the sale and purchase of goods. It does not apply to services.


Employment Contracts: Employment contracts are governed by labor laws. An entire section of the legal profession specializes in this very complex and constantly changing arena.


Real Estate Transactions: Real estate transactions involve the lease or purchase of land or property for your business premises. Contact a reputable real estate person, or ask advice from a bank or title company.



A business has three types of liabilities: product liability, legal liability, and employment liability.

Product Liability 

Product Liability is a business' responsibility to ensure that the product it sells is safe for the public to use. It also covers warranties a business offers for its products. You must make sure that you understand your responsibility, as a business owner, to the legal environment. This is a constantly changing area of U.S. law. You must become aware of its implications to your business before you start. For information concerning the legal liability of your business, you should contact your attorney. 

Legal Liability: Legal liabilities are the obligations a business owes to the government, such as abiding by the business law, the contract law, the tax law, the permit and licensing requirements. Legal liability also includes the protection against deceptive trade practices listed under the Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act. 

Employment Liability: Employment liability is tied closely to employment contracts and labor laws. There is an entire body of law which regulates the number of hours worked, minimum wage, health benefits, discrimination, undocumented alien workers, termination of employment, retirement benefits, vacation, insurance, union contracts, etc.

Injury and Illness Prevention Program 

California's worker safety law requires businesses with 10 or more employees to have a written comprehensive safety program that identifies work place hazards. Employers also must have a safety training program, a way for workers to identify hazards with no fear of reprisal and a person responsible to implement the plan. Employers with fewer than 10 workers must comply with the law, but do not need all of the regulations in writing. Penalties for violators range from fines, to closing down operations, to jail time. For free assistance with your program, call:


Department of Industrial Relations Cal/OSHA Consultation Service 1901 N. Gateway Blvd., Suite 102

Fresno CA 93727

(800) 963-9424 (559) 454-1295


Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 

This comprehensive legislation provides civil rights protection in employment, transportation, public accommodations, and more to individuals with disabilities. Employers must comply with several provisions under this law. For ADA technical assistance, information, referral, training, and consultation on complying with the Act, contact:


The Pacific Disability and Business Technical Assistance Center

(800) 949-4232

Fax (510) 285-5614




The Equal Employment Opportunities Commission

(800) 669-3362


Where to Find Help 

Business laws are very complex and all encompassing, as you probably noticed from reading the above discussion. In fact, business law covers such a vast area of our legal environment, a legal specialty has developed in "business law" and those lawyers who specialize in this area are known as business lawyers. To find a competent business lawyer who can handle all your business needs contact the San Luis Obispo Bar Association or get referrals from Trade Associations, or personal friends. 

Your business attorney should be with you from the start of planning your business through reviewing your business plan. While their services are not inexpensive the consequence of making legal errors in starting and running your business can be very costly.

Business Workshop
The Starting a Business workshop addresses issues confronting the aspiring entrepreneur.
Business Counseling
Business Counseling
Free and confidential business counseling services are provided by experienced executives.